The primary purpose of the International Student and Scholar Advisor (ISSA) is to provide comprehensive support and guidance to international students at Pacific University. This includes assisting with their visa acquisition process, ensuring compliance with immigration regulations, and promoting their successful integration into the university community.
1. Facilitate the pre-arrival and onboarding processes for international students attending on an F-1 visa, working closely with the university’s Admission Office and international recruitment partners.
2. Organize international-specific orientation sessions and coordinate services, such as airport pickup and assistance with practical matters like banking and obtaining cell phone services.
3. Communicate with incoming F-1 students, providing guidance on visa acquisition and immigration policies, and regularly updating students, faculty, and staff on relevant deadlines and matters.
4. Advise and support international students and scholars on F-1 and J-1 visa regulations, as well as cultural adjustment, academic and personal issues, and accessing non-academic resources on campus and in the community.
5. Maintain and update the International Student and Scholar Management database, ensuring accuracy and compliance with federal regulations, including SEVIS reporting requirements.
6. Create and update informational materials for international students and scholars, using various platforms such as flyers, social media, online coursework, presentations, and the departmental website.
7. Develop and implement programs, workshops, and events that foster international student engagement and promote their integration into the university community.
8. Provide ad-hoc reporting as requested and perform administrative duties as assigned.
– Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in a similar position.
– U.S. citizenship or U.S. legal permanent residency to serve as a Designated School Official (DSO) and Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO).
– Two years of work experience providing support to business operations.
– Experience working with international students in higher education or a comparable environment.
– One year of experience as a Designated School Official (DSO).
– Familiarity with federal immigration regulations and providing immigration guidance to F-1 and/or J-1 visa holders.
– Effective communication skills, both verbal and written, with a cross-cultural understanding.
– Ability to provide excellent customer service.
– Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and manage competing deadlines with or without direct supervision.
– Experience and sensitivity in working with people of diverse backgrounds and cultures.
– Demonstrated commitment to social justice, equity, and inclusion in a university setting.
– Ability to incorporate culturally responsive practices and knowledge into work.
– Work primarily performed in a standard office environment, using a computer and phone.
– Extended periods of sitting and repetitive hand/wrist motion while using a computer keyboard and phone.
– Occasional standing, walking, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, and reaching.
– Occasional lifting up to 25 pounds.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel:
– Work is typically performed during standard business hours but may require limited work during non-business hours.
Salary Range: $18.09 – $23.96 per hour.
Background Check Statement:
All applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment are required to undergo a background screening.
To apply, visit [link to job application page]
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer committed to fostering workforce diversity. The university does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff or in the provision of employment benefits based on race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability
To apply for this job please visit jobs.chronicle.com.