Kirkwood Community College - Cedar Rapids, IA
The goal of this job is to advance the college’s mission, vision, principles, values, and strategic initiatives through continuous improvement decisions.
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
Kirkwood’s Global Learning department aims to recruit and retain international students from various countries. The Associate Director of International Student Services plays a crucial role in creating a welcoming and supportive environment for these students, starting from their initial inquiry until they become alumni. The Associate Director oversees all international student services, including those for F-1 and J-1 student populations. They serve as the primary International Student Advisor and liaise with international students on matters related to legal status, academic progress, and cultural adjustment. The Associate Director also supervises other advisors in the department and ensures that programming and services cater to the unique needs of international students.
UNIVERSAL CORE COMPETENCIES:
– Advocate for Continual Improvement
– Collaborate with Mutual Accountability
– Champion Service
– Serve as Principal Designated School Official (PDSO) for Kirkwood’s Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) designation.
– Manage all data regarding international students in SEVIS.
– Develop and implement an international recruiting plan.
– Supervise and lead a team of staff and student workers in the International Student Services functions.
– Manage the admission process for international student applicants.
– Manage the foreign credential evaluation process.
– Provide leadership to the Global Learning team.
– Develop and implement campus programming for immigrant and non-immigrant students.
– Seek out and apply for grants and funding opportunities.
– Manage budgets related to student workers, global learning activities, and international student orientation.
– Serve as Campus Liaison with critical governmental offices.
– Provide personal, cultural, and academic advising to international students.
– Lead and coordinate the New Student Orientation program for international students.
– Provide specialized assistance to sponsored international students.
– Develop and initiate programming for global engagement.
– Recruit and manage homestay and mentor families.
– Assist international students on various cultural matters.
– Provide cultural awareness training opportunities to faculty/staff/students.
– Represent Kirkwood positively with prospective, former, and current students, clients, organizations, and the community.
– Assume responsibility and exercise independent judgment when making decisions.
– Establish and maintain good working relationships.
– Possess strong human relations skills.
– Be a creative, energetic, and self-motivated individual.
– Possess strong oral and written communication skills.
– Promote an inclusive environment.
The statements reflect the essential job duties/responsibilities and performance expectations, which are not an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES WITH/WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION:
This position involves working in an office setting. There may be occasional standing, pushing, pulling, grasping, reaching, and viewing a computer. There will be frequent sitting, walking, repetitive motion, talking, and hearing.
– Master’s degree
– 3 years of experience with federal regulations pertaining to Department of Homeland Security and SEVIS
– Leadership experience in the field of International Education
– 2 years of supervisory experience
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS, LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, OR REGISTRATIONS:
– Experience studying or living abroad
– Language proficiency or familiarity in languages other than English
Kirkwood Community College promotes equal employment opportunities and forbids unlawful discrimination. If there are questions or complaints related to compliance with the policy, individuals can contact the Vice President of Human Resources at Kirkwood Community College or the director of the Office for Civil Rights U.S. Department of Education.
Kirkwood Community College takes pride in providing accessible, affordable, and exceptional education and training to the community it serves. With numerous locations across multiple counties, Kirkwood aims to be a leader in regional, national, and global education. The college values respect, excellence, responsibility, and diversity
To apply for this job please visit jobregistry.nafsa.org.